UTI or urinary tract infection is a serious bacterial infection of the kidneys, urinary bladder, and urethra. It is characterized by pain and a burning sensation in the urethra. Other than antibiotics, cranberry juice and vitamins are among the most popular natural therapies for UTIs. Cranberries include phenolic acids and flavonoids that may aid in treating and preventing UTIs. In this blog, we will walk you through the benefits of cranberry juice in treating UTIs and the best cranberry juice for UTIs.
6 Best cranberry juice for UTI
There are various cranberry juices available in the market. Some of them are listed below:
- R.W. Knudsen Organic Just Cranberry Juice: As the name suggests, it is an organic juice with USDA organic certification. The juice is not cold-pressed but rather produced from concentrate. There are no added sugars or flavors. When it comes to this juice, the only thing to remember is to shake the bottle before opening it because some natural separation may occur. It’s ideal for consuming with breakfast or as a midday pick-me-up. This one is the best cranberry juice for UTIs.
- Lakewood PURE Cranberry Juice: It is a high-quality certified organic juice. It is a 100% pure cold-pressed juice with no preservatives. The pasteurized juice is pressed from fresh cranberries. It is a non-toxic, gluten and allergen-free juice certified by KOF-K. Just remember to shake the bottle before using it, store it in the fridge once opened, and use it within two weeks for the greatest taste and freshness. This one is the best cranberry juice for UTIs.
- Ocean Spray No Sugar Added, 100% Juice Cranberry: It’s 100% juice with a clear flavor of fresh-picked cranberries. It is free from artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and sugars. One glass of Ocean Spray cranberry juice is equivalent to one cup of fruit. It is not a low-calorie food but contains 100% vitamin C. For a 2,000-calorie diet, the USDA MyPlate advises 2 cups of fruit each day. This one is the best cranberry juice for UTIs.
- Biona Organic Cranberry Pure Super Juice: The Biona Pure Cranberry Juice is prepared from pure and selected organic cranberries. They are freshly pressed into a juice shortly after harvest to catch all of their sweetness. It is made from 100% perfect cranberries and has a delicious tart flavor. This makes it a delightful treat for all. It is free from preservatives, herbicides, and chemical pesticides. You can drink it with water or use it in smoothies. This one is the best cranberry juice for UTIs.
- Real Fruit Power Cranberry: It can be used to create delectable blended juice drinks. Real cranberry juice contains many minerals, including calcium, sodium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. There are no artificial colors or preservatives. This one is the best cranberry juice for UTIs.
- Tropicana Cranberry Delight Fruit Juice: Every glass of Tropicana contains the goodness of a delightful, ready-to-serve fruit beverage thanks to revolutionary 6-layer protection. It has a wonderful tart flavor of cranberries. It contains water, sugar (10%), concentrated red grape juice, concentrated apple juice, and concentrated cranberry juice. This one is the best cranberry juice for UTIs.
Also, Read 7 Foods to avoid while taking metformin.
How does cranberry juice help to treat UTIs?
Cranberries are rich in a chemical molecule known as proanthocyanidin. Cranberry juice makes it difficult for E. coli to adhere to the walls of the urinary bladder, as it makes the bladder walls more slippery. Bacteria are thus less likely to increase, considerably reducing the likelihood of an overwhelming infection.
Doctors suggest cranberry extract, pills, or capsules because certain companies do a decent amount of quality control to ensure that there is enough dose of proanthocyanidin that will help patients prevent infection.
The nutritional content of cranberry juice
Cranberry juice contains a plethora of macro and micronutrients as indicated below:
- Dietary Fiber
Micronutrients (Vitamins) like
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
Micronutrients (Minerals) like:
What are the other health benefits of cranberry juice?
The nutritional value of cranberry juice benefits the human body in innumerable ways. Some of the benefits of dried cranberries are:
- Enhances the renal function
- Cleans arterial passages and reduces the risk of heart diseases
- Cures anemia
- Promotes hair growth
- Improves oral health
- Improves bone health
- Reduces skin inflammation
- Deters osteoporosis
- Lowers the risk of urinary tract infections
- Wound healing
- Repairs gum damage
- Boosts immune system
- Reduces signs of aging
How much cranberry juice should you consume to treat UTIs?
Because there are various forms of cranberry supplements on the market, it’s critical to read the directions on your specific product for dose recommendations. If you have frequent UTIs and want to use cranberry juice or pills to help prevent them, consult with a doctor first. On average, you can drink 250-500 ml of cranberry juice daily to reduce the recurrence of UTI. Various studies have shown that cranberry juice is beneficial for reducing the occurrence of UTIs.
Other natural methods to treat UTIs –
As cranberry juice contains very little amount of proanthocyanidin, here’s what you can do to prevent and treat UTIs:
- Keep your body hydrated: According to research, consuming at least 6-8 cups (1.5-2 liters) of water daily may protect against UTI recurrence.
- Reduce your consumption of certain items: Diets heavy in soda, coffee, alcohol, artificially sweetened beverages, and animal proteins may increase the incidence of UTI and worsen symptoms.
- Wipe your buttocks from front to back: You must wipe front to back rather than back to front after using the toilet. This will minimize the chances of UTI in women as harmful bacteria from the rectal area will not reach the vaginal or urethral area.
- Don’t put off urinating: In women, delayed urinary bladder voiding is linked to an increased risk of recurring UTIs. Bacteria might collect inside the urinary tract if you do not urinate regularly enough.
- Engage in physical activity and keep a healthy body weight: Higher rates of recurrent UTIs have been associated with being overweight and inactive. Maintaining a healthy body weight and engaging in adequate physical activity may lower your risk.
- Use vitamins, supplements, and drugs: Some people may benefit from D-mannose, specific probiotic strains, and cranberry products paired with propolis, as well as vaccinations and immunomodulating drugs.
When to visit a doctor?
Look out for the symptoms of UTI. Consult the best urologist in India if you suspect a UTI, as it can progress to life-threatening illnesses.
Cranberry juice is an excellent juice for treating various medical conditions. Due to the presence of proanthocyanidin, it is good to treat and prevent UTIs. We have discussed the best cranberry juice for UTIs in this blog. Before making a purchase, you can refer to this list and buy the most suitable product.